Saturday, February 16, 2013

Charles Bukowski: termites of the page

termites of the page

the problem that I've found with
most poets that I have known is that
they've never had an 8 hour job
and there is nothing
that will put a person
more in touch
with the realities 
than
an 8 hour job.

most of these poets
that I have known
have 
seemingly existed on
air alone
but
it hasn't been truly
so:
behind them has been
a family member
usually a wife or mother
supporting these
souls
and
so it's no wonder
they have written so
poorly:
they have been protected
against the actualities
from the
beginning
and they
understand nothing
but the ends of their
fingernails
and
their delicate
hairlines
and
their lymph
nodes.

their words are
unlived, unfurnished, un-
true, and worse - so
fashionably
dull.

soft and safe
they gather together to
plot, hate,
gossip, most of these
American poets
pushing and hustling their
talents
playing at
greatness.

poet (?):
that word needs re-
defining.

when I hear that
word
I get a rising in the 
gut
as if I were about to
puke.

let them have the
stage
so long
as I need not be
in the
audience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © . Art Blog - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by Art Blog · Powered by Blogger